Monday, August 31, 2009

FOOTNOTES ON THE PREVIOUS

A couple of notes on two of our recent blog entries. First off Pete's entry regarding the 'sure-thing books' coming out. I wanted to put a brief emphasis on the new Nabokov title that will be release. This is from the New York Times:

He wanted to burn “Lolita” too. Vladimir Nabokov instructed that his final unfinished manuscript be destroyed, but his son, Dmitri, decided last year to defy his father’s wishes and publish it instead. “The Original of Laura” will be published on Nov. 3 in the United States (Knopf) and Britain (PenguinClassics), BBC News reported. Vladimir Nabokov wrote the work on 138 index cards, which have been stored for the past 30 years in a bank vault in Switzerland, where Nabokov died in 1977. Each of the cards will be reproduced with a transcript of the text on the facing page. Alexis Kirschbaum, an editor at Penguin Classics, said, “It was quite emotional for Dimitri because it was a big decision to publish, which took him decades.” In 2010 Penguin plans to release a collection of Nabokov’s poems that have not previously appeared in English.



About a year ago I wrote a bit about the impending release of Nabokov's posthumous work in my own blog. Sadly I didn't cite (and don't remember) where I got the information, but The Original of Laura's working title in 1974 was supposedly "Dying is Fun." I'm not certain I like that better or anything, but I do think it may be giving us a strange little glimpse of what we're in for.

Secondly, Nick's latest post on Azorno. Now for one thing Azorno sounds like an incredible mind pretzel and, once I chip a few things off my current reading list, I'm sure I'll be devouring it soon. What struck me however is Anne Carson's likening of Inger Christensen's work to Hesiod.

I recently just picked up a copy of Hesiod's Works and Days due to stumbling across the work of one of my current favorite cartoonists Trevor Alixopulos, author/illustrator of The Hot Breath of War. If you look here you can see some of Alixopulos' work translating Hesiod's verse to the 'narraglypic picto-assemblage' format. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

1 comment:

Clark said...

NOTE* There is a mistake on our website. Sadly THE HOT BREATH OF WAR is not $0.00. It's $13.00. Sorry everyone.