Sunday, September 27, 2009

For the Kids

When I think of my mother and father reading to me as a kid there are two books that stand out aside from the standard Seuss, Scarry, and assortment of Golden Books that every early reader should see at some point. Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories, which my father presented to me at an age where I was getting over being read to and trying to puzzle out the big words by my lonesome; a bit before that, Jan Pienkowski's Dinner Time, a pop up book my mother read to me that I at once both loved and feared. The memory of the latter stuck with me long enough to order it here at Green Apple and place it on the kids staff picks. Oddly enough both books juxtapose each other quite a bit, Kipling's stories each featuring concrete morals whereas Pienkowski's is distinctly lacking in that department. If you haven't already, read them both and you'll see what I mean.


Here we see my dear mother reading Dinner Time to me way back in 1985 as I look on in horror.

No comments: