Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Enough about books, let's talk sandwiches

Yeah, yeah. E-books are taking over the world, price wars on books are killing indies, and Sarah Palin's "book" is still two weeks away. Sometimes I want to talk about other things.

from here (and not reviewed below, alas)

Like good sandwiches on Clement Street. 16 years into my tenure here, things have changed (boy do I miss the 6th Avenue Cheese Shop). And ignoring the scores of other lunch options on the street, here are my favorite sandwiches right now.Link
Let's start at my default: Blue Danube. The BLAT (bacon, lettuce, avocado, tomato) is nearly the perfect sandwich: warm salty bacon with smooth, creamy avocado; just yin-yang loveliness. And their salami-provolone is well balanced. I'm relatively carnivorous (sorry Jonathan Safran Foer), but their veggie avocado pleases even folks like me. Comes with free side salad.

Toy Boat Dessert Cafe has a great chicken-Gorgonzola wrap, and I usually think wraps are pretty silly. The sharp cheese, the smooth ranch dressing, the one-hand-ability of the whole package. Yum. With free chips, potato salad, or pickle.

For cheap, salty goodness, Little Vietnam's BBQ pork sandwich is good: $4, even if the meat is of questionable provenance.

One can't reasonably talk Clement Street sandwiches without mention of the falafel from Haig's Delicacies. It's not that new Mission-hipster, burrito-style falafel. It's a simple pita-based thing with plenty of tahini. Their other sandwiches don't do it for me, but the falafel is part of my regular rotation.

Anyone out there who can help break out of my (pleasant) sandwich route with a suggestion or two?

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Love the Toy Boat chicken salad sandwich, it's really good.
Pho Clement does a good Vietnamese sandwich, too. I've had the bbq chicken and the vegetarian (I think they still offer these, not sure)

Sarah said...

Forget sandwiches! (Though I do agree with you about the BLAT...that's a damn good sandwich). There are too many other good eat options in that area. In no particular order, here are some of my favorites:

Wing Lee Bakery -- Steamed Pork Buns & Pork Dumplings. This place is so cheap and very filling. 1 or 2 pork buns and 3 dumplings (3 for $1.50) costs less than $5 and will fill you right up.

Burma Superstar or B Star Bar -- Their curry is fantastic as are their samosas.

Giorio's Pizzeria -- They have the best cheese calzone I've ever had! They also have lunch specials.

King of Thai Noodle House -- Their pork wonton soup is delicious. Ask for extra wontons and it will be sure to fill you up. The garlic chicken with rice is another of my favorites.

Let me know if you try or have already tried the dishes at these places. Happy eating!

Dave said...

The tofu banh mi at the Little Vietnam Cafe are wonderful. Light and tasty yumminess!