Friday, June 3, 2011

Really?



From The Guardian:

"In an interview at the Royal Geographic Society on Tuesday about his career, V.S Naipaul, who has been described as the 'greatest living writer of English prose', was asked if he considered any woman writer his literary match. He replied: 'I don't think so.'

The author, who was born in Trinidad, said this was because of women's "sentimentality, the narrow view of the world. And inevitably for a woman, she is not a complete master of a house, so that comes over in her writing too," he said.

'I read a piece of writing and within a paragraph or two I know whether it is by a woman or not. I think [it is] unequal to me.' "

Funny, even with my narrow view of the world I can tell from just one sentence if something was written by an asshole.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess we can remove him from the list of
Famous people with where their first name is
Only a letter.

Anonymous said...

PUNK

Anonymous said...

Funny thing-- I used to work at a bookstore just like yours. When they asked me to put together a World Literature section in the annex, I intentionally left Naipaul out. I had to explain my bias to the owner when he asked me why I had skipped over such a seemingly important author... I feel even more justified now. Thanks lady!

Anonymous said...

I mean, its not good to be biased... I just didn't want to CELEBRATE him by putting his books on display.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what VS thinks of Ryan Vogelsong's performance this year.